Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Word for Wednesday #5


Isa 9:6  For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

With all the Christmas lights that have been turned on, I've been thinking a lot about Christmas.  Not just what I'm going to buy or make as gifts, but the real reason we celebrate.  This is a very powerful and hopeful scripture.  Look at the promise that Jesus is to us!  He's Wonderful, our Counsellor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, and The Prince of Peace!  Wow!  He's our Savior, and that is amazing!

I want my children to understand that Christmas is more than materialism.  We've always put up a manger scene, and read the Christmas story to them, but I want to have more depth this Christmas, more spiritual experiences.  I want to read the bible stories, pray together, and sing Christmas carols together.  I will be making ornaments as our advent calendar this year.  Each one will have a name of Jesus, such as Savior or Prince of Peace.  Every day as we open one, we'll talk about what it means before we hang it on our tree.  This way, every day we'll be thinking about Jesus and taking a few minutes to worship Him!  (I'll have pictures for you after I make them...)  (And I got the idea from Family Life Today, where you can buy ornaments.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...