Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Quick and Simple Clothes Alterations


Rebekah has been growing!  She put this shirt on the other day and it was so low cut I had to make her take it off.  She was very mad at me, but I was able to quickly fix it by adding a small piece of black knit fabric.  I just hemmed a small rectangle on one side, then pinned and sewed it into the shirt following the seam that was already there (to hold the lace on).  I cut off the excess on the inside (knit fabric won't fray when you cut it!).  Quick and simple fix for a too-low shirt!


She is so slender that this skirt wouldn't stay on her hips!  I added two darts in the back to help it stay on.  I wish it would have been one of those with the adjustable elastic waistband in it!  Did you notice that this skirt is a 4T and the shirt was a 6T???  The sizes of kids clothes sure do frustrate me!  I think the skirt should have been a 6T instead, and the shirt a 4T!


It is such a blessing to be able to make these simple alterations to clothes, especially for the kids stuff that they outgrow so quickly!  I know I've been able to save quite a bit by not having to buy new things all the time!  Do you have any tips to share?  I'd love to hear them!

5 comments:

  1. I saw something in Pintrest about adding ruffles to the bottom of girls' jeans for when they get too short. I'm keeping it in mind...my kids will typically shoot up, but then be too skinny to keep the next size around their waist! If I could lengthen their old pants with ruffles or cuffs until they fit into the next size, that would help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would look nice! I'm sure you could do it! I add stuff on the bottom of Rebekah's skirts all the time. She always outgrows length before she outgrows the waist!

      Delete
  2. I love these ideas! In fact, my sister gave me a shirt that I love the color of, but the collar is too low to wear to work. I have extra fabric, and could easily add a small panel to it--thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rene, I'm glad you can use this idea. I hope your shirt turns out great!

      Delete
  3. I try to keep versatility in mind when I do buy clothes for the kids (whether new or used). Like, a sleeveless summer dress that can be worn as a tunic when it gets too short and even layered over a long-sleeved T & tights/leggings in cool weather. Or a pair of capris that can be worn year after year because they hit that stage where they only grow up and not out for so long. My daughter currently wears a size 6, but still has some size 4T capris (that are now more like long shorts) that still fit her in the waist. Overalls are excellent too 'cause you can lengthen the straps to account for growing little bodies and give them some extra wear -- no worries about fitting in the waist either! Just a few tips. :-) LOVE your blog, by the way!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...