Friday, January 14, 2011

Walking Foot Necessary for Quilting


I have learned that having a walking foot is absolutely necessary for quilting.  As I started trying to sew my blocks together, the layers kept sliding (jean, flannel, flannel, jean), resulting in uneven blocks that looked like stair steps after a few were sewn together.  I tried to change my upper thread tension and put on a new needle, but the exact same thing kept happening.  After doing some reading online and talking to a very nice Walmart employee, I decided to go ahead and buy a walking foot.  I found one at JoAnn's for $15 (unfortunately you can't use a coupon on sewing machine stuff).  I am amazed at how well it works.  I have completed 4 rows, and sewed 2 of them together, twice.  In the close up picture you can see that the top 2 rows and the bottom 2 rows are not sewn together yet.  I'm showing you the jean side since you already saw my flannel side laid out.  I can't wait to see this quilt on my bed with matching pillows! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...