Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Homemade Graham Crackers


Yep, you read that right.  I actually made homemade graham crackers, and they are yummy!  I've been trying hard to cut out all artificial dyes, flavors and preservatives.  That junk is just not good for us!  Rebekah said they were the best graham crackers she had ever tasted!  I was surprised that they got crunchy, I figured they'd have the graham cracker taste but be soft.  I did notice that the ones that were rolled thinner were crunchier.

I used a recipe from Smitten Kitchen.  After making the dough and putting it in the refrigerator to chill, I read the rest of the recipe and realized that it was going to be A LOT of work.  So, I decided to skip a lot of her chilling and decorating time.  I just rolled them out and used a pizza cutter to cut squares.  Seriously, why have I always been doing circle cookies!  Making square ones with the pizza cutter was WAY easier than cookie cutters!  I baked them right away instead of chilling them.

One thing I would change about the recipe is using a little less vanilla, maybe 1 1/2 Tbsp instead of 2.  I thought it was a little strong.

Have you ever tried making your own crackers?  I'd love to hear about it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...