Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Rebekah's Birthday Quilt is Finished


After exactly 3 weeks, Rebekah's quilt is ready for her bed.  I attempted to machine quilt it, but the layers bunched up and my lines weren't straight.  I knew I would be mad at myself if I continued to machine quilt it and it looked terrible.  After all, I want it to be a treasured keepsake.  So, even though I was pressed for time, I decided to hand quilt it, which took a little longer (and hurt the fingers!).  The brown patch you can see on the back has her name, birthday, and Love Mom on it.  It was my first attempt at embroidering in a long time, and a little more difficult than hoped for.  I used a white crayon to draw straight lines and then her name.  A lot of the crayon rubbed off as I was stitching, but the rest came off when I ironed the patch, which pleasantly surprised me!  My stitches on the embroidered patch, and the entire quilt, are definitely not uniform, but I think it gives it more of a handmade feel, and I hope it will be more treasured because of it.


Now, can anyone offer any tips on machine quilting?  I want to make a full size quilt for my son, but I'd prefer to use the machine, not my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...