Friday, February 8, 2013

Shepherd's Bags And Heart Hangers


Many of you know that we are using My Father's World First Grade for school.  This past week (Day 107) we learned about David, so one of our activities was to make shepherd's bags.  The curriculum didn't have directions on how to make them, so I'm going to try and tell you how I did it.  These were so simple, they only took 5 minutes each!


First, I let them each pick a fabric and ribbon from my stash.  We cut a piece about 16 x 8 inches.  Fold it in half, right sides together.  With the fold on the bottom, sew up each side, you now should have a bag, turn it right side out.  To make the casing for the ribbon, fold the raw edge down about 1 inch, so the raw edge is on the inside of the bag, and sew completely around the bag.  Then sew another line about 1/2 inch above the one you just sewed.   The two lines should be far enough apart that your ribbon fits between them.  You should now have a bag with a finished edge, that has two lines sewn around the top.  Very carefully, use a seam ripper or scissors to cut a small slit between the two lines (should be perpendicular to the seams).  Thread the ribbon through (put a safety pin on one end to make threading easy), then just tie the ribbon in a knot.  That's it!  I hope that makes sense (see picture below), feel free to leave a comment or email me with a question.



Remember the sewing kits I made my kids for Christmas?  Well, they actually completed their first project using a real needle (you know the sharp kind!).  They both did a great job, and no one screamed because they got poked!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...