Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Homemade Fondant Part 1

I made a ball of fondant this afternoon, we shall see tomorrow how it works when I decorate a cake.  My kitchen is covered in powdered sugar.  I tried to take a picture, but our old camera batteries don't work very well in our old camera!  Anyway, it was much different than I expected.  I followed all the directions, but when I went to take it out of the bowl to knead in the remaining powdered sugar, it was like taffy consistency and completely stuck to my hands.  I'm talking like an inch of white goo that absolutely wouldn't come off.  I think I added an entire pound of extra powdered sugar and finally it made a ball, although it's still a tad sticky.  My fingers and forearms are aching from the kneading.  I figured that it cost $5.68 for 2.4 lbs.  The fondant my friend Stephanie recommended is $8.99 for 2 lbs.  The savings will be worth it for a small cake, but if I ever do a large one, like a wedding cake, I think I will be buying some!  I will post a picture of my finished cake tomorrow.    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...