Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pumpkin Raisin Muffins

My kids helped me make these tonight, with minimal mess!  As a bonus, Rebekah actually tried the applesauce and liked it!  I am always looking for muffin recipes that do not have milk or butter, because she is allergic to all dairy.  She also doesn't like vegetables, but she will eat 6 mini muffins in a sitting!  This is a healthy version of pumpkin muffins, but it is so good!  I pulled this recipe off the internet somewhere several months ago, and then I made changes to it.  Here's my version:

Makes approx 64 mini muffins (I think 24 reg, but I made mini)

1/2 cup raisins (Optional: but we love them)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 3/8 cup white flour
2 cups sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground cloves
3 eggs
1 15 oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional: I didn't use)

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spray muffin pans with cooking spray.  Soak raisins in hot water for ten minutes to plump, then drain.
2.  In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground cloves.  In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, pumpkin and applesauce, until smooth.  Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to make a smooth batter.  Stir the raisins and nuts into the batter.  Spoon batter in to muffin pans.
3.  Bake for 10-15 min for minis and 20-25 min for regular muffins, or until toothpick comes out clean.  cooking times will definitely vary, my oven runs very hot (I actually cook mine at 325 so they don't burn).

Nutrition info:  1 mini muffin: 50 cal, 1 regular muffin: 136 cal  (approximations)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...