Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dress Pants to Skirts


This was a pair of dress pants that my mother-in-law asked me to turn into a skirt.  She requested the seam to come straight down from the top instead of curving over like I do when I make a regular jean skirt (see here).   Making this seam was much easier than I expected.  The dress material was thinner than denim, so I was able to fold and pin it straight down, still adding a triangle of fabric on the bottom.  Normally, I sew two seam lines next to each other, which prevents the seam from fraying and coming apart, but because I was trying to keep this skirt dressy, I sewed only one line.  Then after cutting the excess material off on the underside, I zig zag stitched the raw edges.  Lastly, I used a blind hem stitch on the bottom.  This was the first time I've done a blind hem, and I think I should have made my stitch width a little smaller, but it looks okay.  The skirt shown below is another one I just did for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...