Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Homemade Rice-a-Roni Mix


Homemade Rice-a-Roni Mix!  I always love quick and easy meal ideas.  I used to love things like Rice-a-Roni and Hamburger Helper, but now I stay away from them because I realized that they are full of additives that are not healthy for us.  I was thrilled to find a recipe for this mix.  I modified the seasoning from the original and doubled the recipe to fill my canister.  I have made this twice now and all the kids like it, although Rebekah had to put honey mustard dressing on hers to eat it... I won't complain.  Here it is:

Rice-a-Roni Mix
2 cups uncooked, non-instant rice (can use brown)
1 cup Spaghetti noodles, broken into 1" pieces (can use wheat)
1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper

To use:  Shake container to mix ingredients.  Place 1 cup of mix and 2 tsp of olive oil (or butter) in a saucepan.  Cook over medium heat, stirring, until rice just turns a bit brown.  Add 2 1/4 cups of water or broth and bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat, simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender.

You can also use this recipe as a base and add vegetables and/or meat to it to make a one pot dinner!


Linking up with A Mama's Story.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I have also stopped purchasing packaged rice mixes, and we miss them! I've looked for recipes without success. I'll be putting this together today, and I think my family will be excited! Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...