Monday, April 7, 2014

Finished Quilt - (Re-purposed Shirts & Pants)


My quilt is finished!  You may remember seeing my completed top a few weeks ago.  I made the entire top with my husbands old shirts and pants.  I have a lot of memories of these shirts, most from while we were engaged and first married.  The back was a large bed covering that I found at the thrift store for only $3.50!

This was the first machine quilt I've done.  I made Rebekah a small toddler size quilt when she was 2, but I hand stitched that one.  I didn't think I'd be able to stuff this quilt into my sewing machine to get it quilted, but it wasn't as hard as I thought.  The walking foot was definitely necessary!  I stitched in the ditch to quilt it, although I only did a few lines in each of the fancy squares.  Some parts of it are a little wonky (love that word), but that only adds character, right?

My husband has been using his current blanket since college (him mom gave it to him), so I had to save a piece of it.  I cut out this picture of deer and added it to the back of his new quilt, and also signed it with a permanent fabric marker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...