Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Applesauce!


My in-laws have an apple tree and shared their abundance with us.  No one knows what kind of apples they are, but they are very tart, crunchy and juicy!  We've made 3 crock pots full of applesauce (very full!).  The first picture is of cinnamon apple sauce with raisins.  Kevin and I think it's great, but the kids don't like it...  My aunt gave me the recipe, here it is:

Crock Pot Applesauce
3 lbs apples (I think we used more than this though)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup raisins

Peel and chunk apples, add all ingredients to crock pot.  Cook on low setting for 8-10 hours.

Note:  When slicing apples, make sure you cut out all the core parts, especially the hard rounded parts that are around the seed, otherwise you'll have hard shell like things in your applesauce.  (like we did on one batch)

Then we decided to try strawberry applesauce using our frozen strawberries with sugar that we have in the freezer.  We used the same amount of apples, and added a 2 cup bag of strawberries with sugar.  That's it, nothing else.  Thankfully, the kids love the strawberry applesauce!  It is more tart than the cinnamon one, so if I did it again, I would add a little bit of sugar.


Since I have an abundance of apples, I made a pan of apple raisin bars to take to our Financial Peace class.  They were amazing!  Here's the link to the recipe, sorry no pictures.  Apple Raisin Bars  I made it exactly as the recipe says, except I didn't use cream cheese in the glaze on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...