This is jumper #1. It's made out of a purple denim fabric that I scored at a thrift store for only $1, along with the pink one below (and there's enough material left over of both to make several more things)! Below is jumper #2.
I made my own pattern for this dress. I started by taping several pieces of paper together, and then laid a jumper that currently fits my daughter on it. I traced the jumper, then added about 1 inch to the sides. I used an inch because I was adding a 1/2 inch seam allowance, and making the dress a 1/2 inch larger in each direction.
Here is a close up of my pattern. I extended the straps upwards, and drew in the front neck line.
When cutting out my fabric, I used the same pattern for both the front and back. I just folded down the straps for the front, and then used my drawn front neckline to redraw it on the fabric.
Pinned together and ready to sew! Before I began sewing, I zig zag stitched around both pieces completely, this was to prevent fraying. Then I sewed the two pieces together.
You can see in the picture below that I put a hem around the top of the dress, the arm holes, neckline, and straps. Then I folded my straps down until they were the desired length and pinned them in place.
Next came button holes and buttons. I have become a pro at making button holes with my machine! I found these adorable heart buttons at Walmart.
For the pink dress, I added a pocket on the front, which was just a square of fabric. And finished!
For the purple dress, I added a ruffle to the bottom, and ribbon around the waist (with a bow). The ribbon was simply something I had in my stash of stuff. I had to hand sew the bow on. Here's it is finished:
Come back tomorrow to see how I made matching dresses for her baby doll!