Monday, October 17, 2011

Teething Pads for my Ergo Baby Carrier


After trying several cheap baby carriers, a friend let me borrow her Ergo Baby Carrier and I fell in love. There is a wide belt that goes around your waist, and then it's like a backpack.  There is no fabric between you and the baby, their legs go around your waist.  The wide belt and wide padded straps means no back aches!  Here's my husband carrying Rebekah on his back last month.  She weighs 31 pounds and just turned 3 (although my son was a tank at that age and we wouldn't have been able to use it for him). 

 
Back to the teething pads, can you see the pink ones on the straps in the picture above?  They are to prevent the baby from chewing on the straps of you carrier.  Hopefully, Rebekah didn't chew on them this day, but she did when she was smaller!  So, I needed cute teething pads for a boy!Ergo baby sells them here, but for $14!  We spent enough money on the actual carrier, and I knew I could sew cheaper teething pads!

Let's get started.  You'll need two 5 1/2 inch strips of velcro and some fabric, flannel dinosaur fabric worked perfectly for me!  The inside is white terry cloth that I had left over from some other projects.  When I made the pink set, I cut up a flannel receiving blanket and a burp cloth that felt like a baby wash cloth.

Cut out two rectangles of both fabrics.  You'll have to measure your baby carrier to get the proper dimensions (you can make these for a non Ergo carrier too!).  My rectangles were 6 1/2 x 11. 


Sew your velcro onto the right side of each piece.  Make sure you sew the velcro on opposite ends of the rectangle as shown.


Pin your pieces right sides together and sew around the edge using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Make sure your velcro is on opposite ends of your rectangle.  Clip corners and turn it right side out. 


Top stitch around the entire rectangle, and you are done!  Repeat for the second teething pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...