Sunday, October 16, 2011

Apple Pie Filling for the Freezer


We have made a TON of applesauce (see here and here at the end of the post).  I though I'd try apple pie filling for the rest of the apples.  I followed this recipe: Freezing Apple Pie Filling, and it made 4 full bags (quart size).  I think it turned out great, and I should have enough filling in each bag to fill one big apple pie and two small ones for the kids.  I'd love to hear your recipes for desserts using apple pie filling though!

8 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, you're sure to enjoy that throughout the winter! That's the recipe that I used to make canned apple pie filling last year. It's yummy as an apple crisp.

    This year, my sisters & I made apple pie filling for the freezer. We used a slightly different recipe (flour instead of cornstarch, and no lemon juice) but it turned out just as good.

    So far, we've made apple crisp and dutch apple pie. If you don't have a recipe for a crisp topping, I'd be happy to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Casey,
    Here's the apple crisp topping recipe:
    3/4 cup flour
    2 cups oatmeal
    1 cup brown sugar
    2 tsp cinnamon
    2/3 cup margarine or butter

    Mix together until crumbly, sprinkle over pie filling in a 9x13 pan, and bake for 45 minutes at 350.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to make the crisp with 1 box cake mix, dry, mixed with 1 stick of melted butter. Sprinkle over top the apples and bake. Yummy with whipped cream, ice cream or cook whip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the homemade topping vs the cake mix because the cake mix crumbles don't stay crisp like the homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the apple crisp recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure why the recipe won't open

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where is the recipe ?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...