Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fleece Tie Blankets for Charity


I decided that in 2011 I was going to use the talent that God gave me for crafting, for something bigger than myself.  I have always believed in Pro-Life, but after the miscarriages of two of my own unborn babies, a passion has been lit in me to help these unborn babies live.  In the trauma of a natural miscarriage, I have realized like never before how truly precious an unborn baby is.  I have partnered with a local woman's clinic that helps women in unexpected pregnancies.  They offer free pregnancy tests and early ultrasounds, give them counseling and the resources to continue their pregnancy.  If they choose to become mothers, this clinic stays with them, offering support, parenting classes, and even clothes and diapers, until the baby is 3 years old.  These fleece blankets will be given to the mothers when they have their ultrasound appointment as a reminder of the baby they carry. 

The fleece blankets require two yards of fabric.  I used one patterned, one solid color.  I cut my fabric 3 feet by 4 feet.  Then I cut a square out of each corner that was 4 inches by 4 inches.  Using a rotary cutter and a cutting mat, I made a 4 inch cut every inch, all the way around the blanket.  Lastly, I tied a square knot in every other fray, then turned the blanket over and continued tying every fray that I had skipped.  Tying it this way is more even than tying them all right away.  If you'd like more instructions, see here


Would you like to help?  You can make blankets, or donate gender neutral fleece (or any solid color except pink), at least 1 yard chunks.  If you'd like to help, please leave your email address in the comments section and I will email you back with more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...