Sunday, October 27, 2013

Week 11, MFW Adventures & K


Cooking for history!  We were supposed to make Johnny Cakes this week, but we tried them a few weeks ago and didn't like them.  Instead, we made a recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Heritage Cook Book, Pumpkin Raisin Bread.  We made two very short loaves.  It was so good just the kids and I ate almost a whole loaf before Kevin got home!  It was great with homemade pumpkin butter on it!


We learned more about the Revolutionary War and George Washington this week.  Below is Caleb's summary of George Washington.  I had to help him write the summary, and demand that he write real sentences!  We're still dealing with fits every time he has to write...


Just to goad Caleb, Rebekah wanted to write sentences too.  She thought of these herself, and I wrote them down.  Then she copied them.  I think it's amazing!


We read several of the books from Week 9 again, and they watched some episodes from Liberty's Kids - The Complete Series.  As a read aloud, I read  Toliver's Secret to them.  We all really enjoyed it.


In English, Caleb has been learning the difference between WAS and WERE.  And his spelling went great this week too (see below).


They had fun with science this week.  We did several experiments from Science in the Kitchen (Science Activities) about water.  Their favorite one was stacking sugar cubes and watching the tower fall when the bottom cube dissolved.




We also have two bags of bread sitting on the window sill.  One is dry and one is wet.  We'll be checking them in a few days to see what happens to them.  Our third experiment I didn't take a picture of, but we soaked dried beans overnight to see what happens to them.  Then I made bean soup for lunch.  Caleb, Joshua and I ate it and liked it.  Rebekah said it was good, but she only had one bite and suddenly wasn't hungry...


For music, we started listening to selections from The Nutcracker.  They colored these pictures while they listened.  I looked up when the ballet would be playing near our home, and found out it's coming the same week that I'm due with baby #4.  I'm a little disappointed we'll miss it, but I plan on getting the movie at least!


Art went really well this week.  I felt like they actually learned something!  We started basic painting with learning about how to mix colors to make secondary colors as well as light and dark shades.  Below are Caleb's pictures.


In Kindergarten, Rebekah has moved on to the letter D and dinosaurs.  Her bible words were "Big and small, God made them all".  She is still excited about reading, I love it!



She finished up the letter U at the beginning of the week.  Here are the pictures she drew.  1 is an umbrella, 2 is under, 3 is upside down, and 4 is unbutton.  I'm impressed with #4.


Rebekah has been using CUISENAIRE RODS SMALL GROUP 155/PK.  After finishing her U page, she wanted more school, so she decided to make her own worksheet.  She sorted the rods she used, traced and colored them, and then counted and wrote the number on her paper.  I didn't tell her she got a couple number backwards, I was in awe she did it!


And here's an adorable picture of Joshua playing with play dough for the first time.  He felt like a big kid with a plastic scissors and knife!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...