This is a waterproof zippered pouch that I plan on carrying in my diaper bag, also called a wet bag. I will use it for wet clothes, burp clothes, or dirty cloth diapers. It's finished dimensions are 10 x 12 inches. Would you like to make one for yourself? Here's how:
You will need:
Outside Fabric #1 Back 11 x 13
Outside Fabric #1 Front 4 1/2 x 13
Outside Fabric #2 Front 7 x 13
Lining Fabric (2 Pieces) 11 x 13
Iron on Vinyl (2 Pieces) 11 x 13
13" Zipper (or larger - I salvaged mine from an old ugly dress)
1. Sandwich the piping between the outside fabric front pieces as shown in the above and below picture. It helped me to pin the piping to the first fabric and then move the pins when I put the second one on top. Sew as close to the piping as you can.
2. Open it up and press it.
3. Follow the directions on the package of iron on vinyl to cover both pieces of Lining fabric.
4. Cut your zipper to 13 inches if it's too long, and sew a few stitches at the end so it can't come apart.
5. Lay your zipper on top of the outside front piece so that the right side of the zipper is laying on top of the fabric. Lay one of your lining pieces on top of the zipper, right sides together, and pin in place. Sew on the zipper using a zipper foot on your machine.
6. Open it up and turn it so the wrong sides are together and press near the zipper.
7. Repeat on the other side of the zipper with your outside back fabric and the other lining fabric. Once this seam is done, it should look like the picture below. It's a good idea to make sure your zipper works now too!
8. Pin the outside fabric pieces together, and then the lining fabrics together, like the picture below.
9. Sew around the entire rectangle leaving several inches open on the bottom of the outside fabric. I left about 5 or 6 inches open (see left side of picture below).
10. Turn the bag right side out. You should be able to just flip the outside fabric over the lining. Unzip the zipper to make it easier.
11. Hand sew the opening closed, and you are finished!
I'm linking up with Naptime Crafters today.